The colours symbolized the heart of a Regiment. They were originally carried in action to serve as the rallying point in the confusion of battle. The sight of the colours proudly waving above the smoke of the battlefield indicated to all that the regiment still held the line.
The colours of the Fort Henry Guard consist of the Queen’s Colour and Regimental Colour, and are designed in accordance with regulations in effect in 1867. The regimental colour normally bears the battle honours of the regiment.
The Fort Henry Guard Regimental Colour bears the name of the 34 British and 28 Canadian regiments that garrisoned Kingston and Fort Henry during its years of active service from 1812 to 1943.
One of these scrolls bears the honour of the Tyendinaga Mohawks, in commemoration of their service as volunteers for the Crown during the Rebellion of 1837.
At that time, the threat of a rebel attack prompted the commandant of the garrison of Kingston, Sir Richard Bonnycastle, to call out all loyal militia forces in the area. At this critical time, ninety warriors from Tyendinaga volunteered their services to defend the Crown. This strong show of force was instrumental in warding off any potential attack on the city. In commemoration of this traditional demonstration of loyalty, the Fort Henry Guard bears on its Regimental Colour a scroll inscribed “the Mohawks of Tyendinaga.”
Queen's Colour Regimental Colour